Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Getting Reference Help
- E-mail a Question to Reference
- Phone Reference at 503.399.5231
- Chat reference: Please use the form below
- We recommend that you include an e-mail address so that you can receive a transcript of your chat and so the library can send you any followup help.
In Chemeketa Library's Reference Collection
Lend Me Your Ears by
Call Number: REF 808.85 L547
Publication Date: 1997
A collection of famous speeches in history.
Representative American Speeches, 1937-1997 by
Call Number: REF 815.5408 R29S 1937-1997
Publication Date: 1998
Thematically-arranged speeches given between 1937 and 1997.
Speech Index by
Call Number: REF 016.80885 Su8
Publication Date: 1990
Look up the subject or author you want. Each speech indexed has a short descriptive title, followed by one or more letter/number codes. (Example HIB:116.) The codes refer to an alphabetical list in the front of the volume. If you look up HIB, you will find Hibbett, George W., ed. The Dolphin Book of Speeches. ... 1965. You would then look in the library catalog to see whether Chemeketa has that book. The number after the colon in the code is the page number in the book. Covers resources published 1966-1980.
Voices of Multicultural America: Notable Speeches delivered by African, Asian, Hispanic, and Native Americans, 1790-1995 by
Call Number: REF 815.0080920693 V87
Publication Date: 1995
Speeches in Magazines
Vital Speeches of the Day
- A monthly magazine that gives the texts of recent, notable American speeches
- Chemeketa has from 1975 to the present.
- Current year is in the Periodicals Collection
- Previous Years in General Collection at 808.85 V83
- Indexed in Academic OneFile; in full text from January 1, 1993 - July 15, 2002
- Use link above to connect; use the Search within Publication space to search only in the magazine:
Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents
- Not all articles are speeches, but most are speeches by the U.S. President.
- Chemeketa does not subscribe to the paper version. Full text articles are available on the Web on Gov Info, or
- search the Compilation by going to the Gov Info Advanced Search.
- Under Refome by Collection, check off "Compilation of Presidential Documents."
- Under Selected Collections, click on "All Collections" and click the Remove button
- Put a key word or phrase in the Search In space.