Skip to main content
Welcome! Here Are Some Reference Books You May Find Useful.
Choosing a Topic, Initial Research, and Choosing Your Key Terms Compliment One Another
A good way to find a topic is to look through a source in your subject area to find something that interests you.
Choosing a Topic, Finding Key Words, and Your Research All Compliment Each Other
- Look in your textbook, or another resource such as a specialized encyclopedia, to find a topic that interests you
- As you read about your topic, take note the language describing it, including specialized terms
- If any important researchers are mentioned who worked in your area of interest, note their names
- Use the terms you've gathered to search for information on your topic
- As you examine your newfound resources, you can gather more terms and names
- How can you focus or refine your topic based on what you've found?
- You may even decide to change your topic!
Chemeketa Community College Library | library.chemeketa.edu | 503.399.5231 | E-mail Reference Librarians